What is the key to life? There is not one secret to a healthy, happy life. Instead, it is more like a puzzle, small pieces that, when put together, creates the desired image. Although there are thousands of different pieces that could fit into your plan to a healthier and happier life, here are just 10 changes you can make to improve your lifestyle. Ready? Let’s dive in!
- Complain Less. I know this is hard. Complaining is an easy habit to fall into. However, the negativity from complaining wears off on you and the people around you. Try to catch yourself the next time you complain and turn whatever you were about to say and make it something positive.
- Drink Herbal Tea. Drinking tea can be very relaxing. Give yourself some time every day when you can sit back, drink tea and reflect. Herbal tea also has amazing health benefits.
- Always Eat Breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and about 10% of Americans skip it. Missing breakfast can lead to more unhealthy snacking later in the day and will lead to you feeling more lousy and unmotivated throughout the day.
- Drink Lots of Water. I always notice a huge difference when I am drinking more water. I get fewer headaches, my complexion looks more flawless and I sleep better, just to name a few benefits.
- It Is Okay To Take A Break. I am one someone who pushes themselves too far all the time. Life can get stressful. Don’t be afraid to take a break and give yourself a mental health day. You deserve it.
- Always Wear a Seatbelt. Wearing a seatbelt may seem obvious. Yet, I havea habit of not wearing a seatbelt when in an Uber and I know I am not the only one. If the car is going 60km/h before crashing into something and you aren’t wearing a seatbelt, you will hit the windshield at the same velocity. That is like jumping off a 5 story building. Just keep this in mind.
- Start Reading. The ability to read is an important skill. As a self-proclaimed bookworm, I may be biased when it comes to this topic but reading has been proven to improve vocabulary and has several health benefits. If you want some recommendations, click here to see the books I have read this year!
- Keep Your Space Organized. If you don’t put effort into keeping your space clean, it will become a mess. However, a messy space leads to a messy mind. It is harder to focus and can increase your stress and anxiety levels. Spend 10 minutes a day picking up the dirty clothes off your floor, washing the dishes that are sitting in the sink, or organizing the stacks of paper on your desk to improve your mental health.
- Create a Sleep Schedule. Try to stick to a sleep schedule. Even if it isn’t realistic for you to get eight hours of sleep a night, it is more beneficial to get only six hours a night, every night, rather than 4 hours one night, 10 the next, 6 the following and so on. Use a sleep calculator to find the best time to fall asleep and wake up to get the most out of your sleep.
- Spend Time Outside. Try to get some fresh air every day. Walk to work, or the subway, go on a bike ride or do some work on a café patio.
Will you be making any of these lifestyle changes? Let me know in the comments below!
Featured Image: Death to the Stock Photo