No one likes having pores. These little “holes” are a complete nuisance and don’t look good. Although I am lucky enough not to have very noticeably pores, some of my friends struggle to deal with their pores. So here is everything you need to know about pores, simplified.
Why do we have pores?
They do actually serve a purpose. They have a hair follicle and a sebaceous gland. Furthermore, they allow our skin’s natural oil, sebum, to come to the surface of our skin.
Why do some people have bigger pores then others?
There are several reasons. The first is that it is actual mainly genetic. Also, it depend on the size of the hair follicle and sebaceous gland. So, the bigger the hair follicle and gland, the bigger the pore. An other reason is, that if your face is dirty, dirt and oil can build up in the pores, making them look bigger. Which is one reason you should make sure you clean and exfoliate your face. Sun damage and aging can also increase the size of pores. So, wear sunscreen daily.
Can pores really open and close?
Despite what you may have heard, no, they can’t. This is because it isn’t a muscle. However they can stretch when there is dirty and oil inside.
Are blackheads just dirt?
I am sorry to tell you that it isn’t that simple. They are actually a chemical reaction between sebum and oxygen. Even though it is a chemical reaction, they are still easy to deal with, if you do it correctly. I will talk more about blackheads in an upcoming post.
Can I get rid of my pores?
No, you can’t say good bye to your pores for ever, nor do you want to, as they are important. With that being said, you can make them less noticeable with these easy tricks:
- Wash your face twice a day and after any intense workout or a lot of sweating. This will get rid of a lot of the dirt, oil and sweat in your pores and make them look smaller.
- Use a pore minimizing moisturizer or primer. Makeup and pores are not a good match. Use a pore minimizing moisturizer or primer to make pores look small and have your makeup go on smoother.
- Don’t wash your face too much. Over washing your face will make it dry and irritated.
- Exfoliate. Using a exfoliating cleanser or a sugar scrub will help get all the dirt and other stuff out of your pores
- Use a clay mask. The clay will help pull all the dirt out of your pores and leave you will a clean and refreshed complexion.
- If you don’t have a clay mask, make a face mask out of 2 tbsp. of honey and the juice of half a lemon. Just mix it together, put it on your face and wash it off after five minutes. The lemon will naturally exfoliate your skin and the honey is a natural antibiotic.
- Use a peel. A peel will help remove all the stuff out of your pores and leave you looking refreshed.
- Use a pore strip. Pore stripes will take all the dirt and oil out of your pores.
Pores seem like a big deal, but when treated properly, they aren’t. Do you have any other questions on pores? Leave them in the comments below!